A question we get asked a lot is, how does Chiropractic care work?
Chiropractic care works by improving the function of your muscles, joints and nerves throughout your body (biomechanical function). This can have many benefits including pain relief, better movement, better posture, and better sleep.
Let’s dive in a bit deeper.
FIRST OF ALL, WHAT IS CHIROPRACTIC?
‘A health profession concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, and the effects of these disorders on the function of the nervous system and general health. There is an emphasis on manual treatments including spinal adjustment and other joint and soft-tissue manipulation.’ World Federation of Chiropractic
Chiropractic is safe, mainstream, effective and affordable, with people of all ages benefiting from care. Chiropractors are extensively educated in the prevention, assessment, diagnosis and management of musculoskeletal conditions. As musculoskeletal experts, we provide qualified, effective treatment to promote general health, alleviate pain and improve your quality of life. Our Chiropractors are all trained at Murdoch University in Perth, Western Australia. The course is 5 years in duration, covering clinical anatomy, neurology, radiology, differential diagnosis, rehabilitation and physical therapy.
HOW DOES CHIROPRACTIC CARE WORK?
Chiropractors perform a thorough history and a number of assessments to identify the cause of your pain or reduced function. These help us determine the most appropriate treatments, in line with current evidence-based guidelines, to help reduce pain and improve function through your area of concern. These can include:
- Adjustments and mobilisations of the joints.
- Soft tissue techniques, including massage, dry needling, stretching and TENs.
- Rehab exercises to improve mobility and strength
- Functional exercises to get you back to your chosen activity or sport as soon as possible.
- Advice on activities to change or avoid to help resolve your pain quickly.
- Lifestyle advice such as exercise and stress-management techniques.
- Sometimes referral or co-management with other allied health and medical practitioners is required. This will be discussed with you by your chiropractor.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CHIROPRACTIC CARE?
Benefits of Chiropractic care can include:
- Improved movement in your neck, shoulders, back and torso
- Better posture
- Relief from headaches, neck and back pain
- Prevention of work-related muscle and joint injuries
- Enhanced athletic performance
- Improved flexibility
- Support for musculoskeletal conditions during pregnancy and postpartum
- Better sleep
- Correction of gait and foot problems
DO I NEED TO HAVE X-RAYS BEFORE I RECEIVE TREATMENT?
This will be discussed with you once we have completed a thorough history and examination, as it depends on each individual’s circumstance and presentation. Generally, in most cases, a trial period of conservative care is recommended before obtaining imaging, but there are some circumstances where imaging may be needed before starting treatment, such as a concern of an underlying fracture or pathology.