Headaches can be debilitating, and are one of the most common conditions that we see as chiropractors. While there are many types of headaches, the three main headaches that chiropractic care can help with are Tension Type, Migraine, and Cervicogenic.
To better understand your headaches, your chiropractor will first perform a thorough history and physical examination to identify what type of headaches you are experiencing, and if chiropractic care is suitable for you.
There are many types of headaches that may not respond to chiropractic care, and some types of headaches can be complex or concerning in nature. These may require further assessment or co-management with other medical practitioners, such as your GP, prior to commencing chiropractic care. Your chiropractor will discuss this with you after they have performed a thorough history and physical examination.
If your headaches are stemming from the muscles and joints in your neck (cervicogenic headaches); jaw pain; stress (tension-type headaches); or migraines, then chiropractic care may be beneficial. There are many studies that show the benefits of chiropractic care for these types of headaches, with a combination of the following treatments shown to help reduce the frequency and severity of these headaches:
- Gentle neck traction techniques.
- Spinal Adjustments/manipulations or mobilisations
- Soft tissue therapy such as massage and dry needling
- Rehab and functional exercises to improve your strength, function and posture.
- Lifestyle advice such as ways to check the ergonomics at your workspace, reduce your stress and improve your sleep.
- Keeping a headache diary to monitor your headache type, frequency, severity and duration.
BENEFITS OF CHIROPRACTIC CARE AND HEADACHES
- Frequency and severity of headaches may be reduced.
- Reliance on some forms of pain relief medications (such as panadol) may be reduced.
- Improved sleep.
- Improved posture.
- Exercises and non-medication based pain management techniques that you can trial at home.